Thursday, April 2, 2009

MRSA

About 3 weeks ago Hudson had this infected area on his leg, right below his knee. Lori came into town and took one look at it and said that he needed to be seen soon. I took him to the doctors and the doctor was pretty confident that the infection was MRSA. The Dr. cut open the infection and cultured it to make sure it was MRSA. We started him on Anitbiotics and they sent him home.

Everything I had ever heard about MRSA was scary.I thought it was this horrible infection that about killed everyone who got it. However, I was wrong! After a few days Hudson was back to normal and acted fine the entire time. So then, I thought, "MRSA??? so not a big deal!"

Monday, March 30, 2009 at around 4:30 I noticed while changing Andee's diaper that her entire right viginal lip was purple and swollen. Ryan was outside mowing and I ran out to him and told him something was wrong. he told me to call the doctors and see what they said. I called and the nurse asked if she was running a fever. I said she was and she told me to go the hospital right away. We got to he hospital and after about 6 hours we finally saw a doctor. By this time Andee was running a fever of 103.8. When we first came in the waiting room, it was 102.8. The pediatric Dr. saw her and cut her who-ha open to culture it because he was pretty sure it was MRSA. I though they would keep her that night because of her fever, but they sent her home. We woke up the next morning and I could tell she was still running a fever. She was more swollen than the night before and I called my doctor. Unfortunately my Dr. wasn't in, and I had to see the Nurse Practioner. She came and and acted like everything was fine... "This is going to get worse before it gets better... That's what MRSA is!" she told me. She tried hard to reassure me, but I knew something was still wrong with my 8-month old baby. I made an appoinment with my family doctor the next morning. We got home and Andee seemed alittle better, but still obviously sick. We went to the Dr.'s at 8:20 wednesday morning. My Dr. took one look at her vag and said... "That is not ok! Why is she not in the hospital?" I thought... hmmmm, that's what I have been wondering! We stayed at the doctors for awhile while they ran blood tests and cut her cha-cha open again. My Dr. sent us to the hospital and admitted us himself. Andee was put in isolation and underwent a surgical procedure to open her up and take out all of the infection. The surgeon said it was a lot bigger than they thought it was, but he was confident that he got almost all of it out, and whatever was still in there the Antibiotics would take care of it. So we are sitting here waiting for her to get better!!!

So, what have I learned? MRSA is a big deal when linked with a fever. When my gut says "this isn't right, she needs to be in the hospital" It's actually right and I should fight a little harder to get that to happen. Anways, I will try to keep everyone updated!!!

No comments: